Thursday, August 29, 2013

Omano Microscope First Inspection

I finally have a microscope that has sufficient power to really look into things!  I'm looking forward to learning how to do nosema counts and other great beekeeping stuff...however for now I'm on the hunt for varroa.

I went with an OM36 so I had the right magnification for nosema in the future and still retained the ability to play with viewing varroa.

There is lots of information on using a microscope at scientificbeekeeping.com

I gathered up the oil board from hive 3.  Hive 3 is strong and overflowing with bees.



I found lots of pollen, which is really cool under magnification.  Definitely little pieces of plants all over the place.
Unfortunately I found a varroa mite.  While it's only 1 that is 1 too many and indicates they are present in my apiary.

Varroa destructor is a menace to beekeepers across the globe.  They are a very real part of CCD as it seems varroa + neonicotinoids cause a severe problem for bees.  Maybe the neonic's make the bees too weak to sustain attacks from varroa based virus attacks.  I think the scientists are still out on exactly the mechanism.

I'm going to run oil boards under all three hives to generate my 24 hour hive count this weekend after doing a good sugar shake on all the hives.

It's about to rain sugar my girls, prepare yourselves.

Damn varroa, I'm after you now suckers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for submitting your comments.
Once reviewed they will be posted to the blog.