Thursday, August 8, 2013

War against Small Hive Beetles, Battlefield High Springs

Due to the location of my house my yard is not exactly a sunny open field, so hive beetles are a challenge.

I've been modifying screened bottom boards so I can slide a tray of vegtable oil under the hive which is doing a good job and increasing casulties for the the little monsters.  Unfortunately their communications network with SHB headquarters is still in place and they keep calling in for reinforcements.

I've managed to reduce my SHB count from around 50 in two days to a more manageable 5 for one hive, my other two are sitting around 1-3...but I'm a stubborn adversary and want complete destruction.

The trays are also kind of a pain to manage and I figured I'd try a product called the BeetleJail screened bottom board.
Once it stops raining I'll be installing this one in my weakest hive.

The bottom board has a slide out veggie oil trap that looks easy to clean and refill,  I'm looking forward to seeing how effective it will bee.

BeetleJail Bottom Board

Beetle Jail Bottom Board

*Also allows for varroa checks using the slide in white board.


And here it is installed in my hive
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for submitting your comments.
Once reviewed they will be posted to the blog.